OCCIDENTAL® Vision

Reaching the Epitome of Living Testimony & Releasing our Hidden Potential

GOALS

To continue to grow the seed of Jesus in our lives no matter where we are. God place us in Occidental, God place us in His destined place, God has His ways to help us to grow in Him. Amen.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What to do when you Shoot Someone

Musings from H.B. London, Jr.

Abstracted from The Heart of a Great Pastor



Wheames Dobson and I were Kids, I amost shot him twice. The first time, we were squirrel hunting and I didn't know if the safety on the gun was on or off. It was off, and I whistles a shot close to his ear. I would not soon forget that day - and neither would he. The second time, we were bird hunting. As I was walking across a gully on a log, I lost my footing, fell from the log, and the shot gun went off. It was another close call.



What do you do when you almost shoot someone?

You apologize like crazy!



Now to the point. So often, pastors shoot one another. We do not use guns but words as our firearms. We do irreparable damage to another by accusations, innuendos, gossip and idle conversation. Every one of us has been "shot at" by a colleague or parishioner. It always hurts, and it can result in permanent injury. I bear the scars, as do you.



The apostle Paul suggests to the church at ephesus, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who isten" (Eph. 4:29). Proverbs 21:23 says, "he who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity." In other words, whatever you do, don't shoot anyone. If you do, you lessen yourself in the eyes and ears of those who watch and listen.

No comments: