OCCIDENTAL® Vision

Reaching the Epitome of Living Testimony & Releasing our Hidden Potential

GOALS

To continue to grow the seed of Jesus in our lives no matter where we are. God place us in Occidental, God place us in His destined place, God has His ways to help us to grow in Him. Amen.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Compassion Fatigue


Musings from H.B.London, Jr.
Abstracted from The Heart of a Great Pastor

Sometimes I think I get compassion fatigue. Do you? It usually occurs when you come to the place where there is so much to take care about that you can't care anymore.

As clergy, we deal with heartbreak all the time - so much so that we must guard against growing calloused or cynical. We can't lose our empathy or take for granted other people's suffering. Our hearts must remain sensitive - even though sometimes we just want to stick our fingers into our ears and say, "No more!"

How do we do this? For one thing, we should pray for a heart like Jesus. For another, we should never come to a place in our ministry in which we can walk away from suffering without letting people know of God's love. Wemust attempt to be an answer to our prayers and do what we can to help. We cannot do what we do for others out of selfish motives, but as unto the Lord. We also should place a high priority on getting enough rest and spiritual food, or we will wear down very quickly. We are reminded to "cast all your anxiety [care] on him because he cares for you" (1 Pet. 5:7).

There are times when I feel helpless, but then I remember it is not about me but those for whom our Lord called me to serve - to be His compassion in a world that hungers for solutions. And when I remember this, I again feel His power to do whatever I need to do.


Stay Strong, my colleagues!

No comments: